Friday, July 8, 2011

Birthday Week!

Celebrating can make your days go so fast.. its been a great birthday week...

I have been going every morning religiously from 8-11 to Murray for tutoring. Mostly just sit in the back of the class and when the kids are doing review exercises I help them out if the teach cant get to them. Its mostly quiet time observing kids and teach taking control of the class. Makes me feel useful for maybe 20 minutes in the 3 hours.. but its worth the trouble.

Sleep schedule is out of wack, getting up at 6.30 seems much harder now since i am used to sleeping after 11 everyday and in addition been taking siestas sometime in the day... need to stop!

Swimming's been off.. so has any physical exercises, really need to get back to the treadmill!

Unscripted questions:

Languages in Alaska: Mr Kaplan, the teacher that I am helping out spends most of his time in Alaska and he told me about some of the different languages that they seem, the village that he is in speaks: Yupik. 


"The Yupik languages are the several distinct languages of the several Yupik (юпик) peoples of western and southcentral Alaska and northeastern Siberia. The Yupik languages differ enough from one another that speakers of different ones cannot understand each other, although they may understand the general idea of a conversation of speakers of another of the languages. One of them, Sirenik, has been a dead language since 1997."


Second unscripted question was: Is Square a Rhombus, how about a parallelogram?
Made me do research on rhombus:
"In geometry, a rhombus or rhomb is a quadrilateral whose four sides all have the same length. The rhombus is often called a diamond, after the diamonds suit in playing cards, or a lozenge, though the latter sometimes refers specifically to a rhombus with a 45° angle.
Every rhombus is a parallelogram, and a rhombus with right angles is a square."

Now about the special celebration:
Britney Spears and Nikki Minaj Concert: Wanted to feel like I was still in my 20's, I have watched Britney Spears since I got into my 20's, he being the same age as me, born in 1981.. I feel like I have grown up with her, when she sang 'baby, baby' I was just starting my college and now she's got 2 kids and is performing again and I get to see her in St Paul, Minnesota.. lots has changed but she is still performing.. and I am entering my 30;s. 

The concert was pretty amazing, not because of her singing, which she doesnt..she is not really a singer in my mind, she is more of a performer.. they had a giant guitar that she straddled, a car that turned into a pole dance and steps, motorcycles, a hanging chair and in the end fireworks and suspended angel wings carrying Britney..and they had a conveyer belt right in the middle of the stage. Quite a spectacle.. and ofcourse its the best  skank parade in town!



On 7th, we went to the Hindu Temple of Minnesota, a beautiful temple in suburbs of Maple Grove in the middle of farms and ranches. Its a big building and within the temple, there are multiple small temples designed in the style of indian temples depending on the deities. They were singing Krishna Bhajans which was really nice, it was a good feeling to go to the temple on my birthday. 





Dinner was Indian Chinese last night, not the best but a welcome change from american food. That was in Hopkins Minnesota, another cute little town south east of the twin cities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment